Skip to main content.

Winter Hunt

Hoof prints in the snow. Scrapping of tusks against the bark of a tree. A deep grunt from a beast that has lived in this cycle too long. Are you brave enough to hunt the beast?

Chance of combat: High. Size of group: up to 6. Preference given: First come, first to join the hunting party.

Date

July 11, 2018, 3 p.m.

Hosted By

Marian

GM'd By

Marian

Participants

Marian Signe Austen Asher Jordan

Location

Outside Arx - Eastern Approach - Gray Forest Outskirts

Largesse Level

Refined

Comments and Log


Snow has recently fallen in the forest leaving everything a pristine white on the ground. Forest branches are weighted by the heavy snow fall that came down last night. The ground is almost smooth except for the hook prints of a large beast upon the ground leading deeper in the forest. It's quiet, so still that no a sound can be heard from the denizens of the forest.

Tempest, Atila, Vegard arrive, following Signe.

Vegard have been dismissed.

Such quiet is helpful to those who tend to make no sound when they move. Or more accurately, when they don't move; Being able to stand still is certainly a virtue for stealth in such conditions. Snow crunches underfoot and there is little to mask the sound as Asher approaches; certainly, he had gone to check on the Lodge of Petrichor - after the attack he had heard about, it might be best to see what has happened. Comfy, warm leather armor - and a hood of course - lends itself to not making as much of a rattling echo.

Austen checked intellect + animal ken at difficulty 15, rolling 1 lower.

Signe checked intellect + animal ken at difficulty 15, rolling 14 higher.

Approaching from the other direction to Asher is the much-less stealthy form of a knight of the Iron Guard. Austen Ferron appears to be just off patrol, the large knight crunching tiredly through the snow on his way back to the city. Prints on the ground? He doesn't seem to have noticed as of yes, the young man just making his way back home.

Asher checked intellect + animal ken at difficulty 15, rolling 12 higher.

Signe's trecking towards the hunting site with an eager husky and curious young wolf trotting a few feet ahead of her. Knowing well not to shout out her arrival, the young shaman catches up with the others with a short wave to Austen and Asher. "Well met.." Signe lifts her chin as her eyes search the height of trees, her head cants left then right. "Do you hear there?"

Signe checked command + animal ken at difficulty 15, rolling 22 higher.

The shine continues to shine down upon the forest grove, almost reflecting off the pristine snow. The young wolf trotting next to Signe comes to a dead stop, it's ears fold down and the wolf gives a little whine as if it does not want to be there.

Asher gives a small wave to Signe, and at about the same time, Asher pauses and listens. "No. No, I don't. Which is the point, aye?" His voice is soft, and while he does not hello to Austen, he's now on edge. It was supposed to be a simple stroll, a quick look! "...How far do you expect sound would carry over the snow in the forest?"

Austen pauses as he meets others on the trail. "Well met," he agrees softly, nodding to the other, glancing between them. "Hear what?" he asks with a small frown, the knight's eyes now flicking between the trees. "I have heard nothing."

Signe nods subtly to Asher, agreeing. "Yes. At this hour of the day there are at least birds ahead or critters in the trees." With Tempest's whine the Nightgold crouches lower to ease her animal companion's unwillingness to venture closer to the woods. "Easy Tempest. Shhh." She strokes along the wolf's shaggy fur while looking to Austen. "Neither do we. Something is not right."

Marian GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + stealth(3) at difficulty 15, rolling 40 higher.

Signe checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 2 lower.

Austen checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 7 lower.

Asher checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 7 higher.

Once it's become apparent that the silence is not natural, there is an oppressive feeling as if something is pressing down to on your chest. The wolf companion next to Signe hankers down on the ground, whining louder as it tries to curl up as small as possible next to its mistress.

Volare arrives, following Jordan.

Signe checked command + animal ken at difficulty 15, rolling 35 higher.

Asher slowly looks about, reaching for his blade... Not the sword or the dagger at his side, but the one strapped horizontally at the low of his back. A quick flip and the buckle is undone, so he can pull the weapon out so very slowly... Wait. Diamondplate? He feels that weight, the unease. It makes it difficult to breathe, somehow. "Well... If this be Petrichor's domain, I say we ask for guidance, aye?" A raised eyebrow at Signe and Austen. After all, who else do you ask about forest regions than Petrichor?

Austen gives Asher a slight nod, carefully reaching for his own claymore, seeking the reassurance of a blade in his hand. He frowns as he considers the forest around them. "I agree, Goodman," he agrees with Asher, dipping his head and crouching to do just that, mumbling out a quick prayer to Petrichor for guidance. The whine from the wolf gets a very concerned look from the knight.

"We need not to ask for guidance. The signs are all around us." Signe said, concern lowered her tone, while against the pressure from both Tempest curling against her crouched form and something else. "Tempest is scared. What ever is ahead has caused all the animals to flee." The shaman leaned a little closer to her wolf's ear, "It is ok, be brave Tempest. Stay here." She combed her fingers through the his shaggy crown before rising onto her feet to face the others, the other hand laid against her chest.

Signe checked mana + occult at difficulty 15, rolling 43 higher.

Jordan checked luck + occult at difficulty 15, rolling 3 higher.

Asher checked luck + occult at difficulty 15, rolling 2 higher.

Austen checked luck + theology at difficulty 15, rolling 3 lower.

Marian GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + stealth(3) at difficulty 15, rolling 20 higher.

Asher checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 10 higher.

Jordan checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 31 higher.

Austen checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 2 lower.

Signe checked perception + survival at difficulty 17, rolling 7 higher.

Riding in on his destrier, Jordan is clad in his armor, the mismatched pieces of diamondplate gleaming under the weak sunlight of a winter day, while the steel seems muted in its light green tint. A cloak is draped over his body to ward off the cold, his alaricite sword drawn and held at his side. His visor is lowered as he glances around, his gaze tracking something with a cool, analytical gaze. "Over there," he points towards the direction something has moved with his sword. "Something is skulking there."

Jordan wields Wayfarer, an alaricite arming sword.

Asher wields an elaborate diamondplate long-knife with a dragon motif.

Austen wields legend of the dragon modest rubicund claymore.

Signe wields direwolf shadows of winter pale rubicund bow.

Traveling at high speed through the forest is a blur of white fur that almost melds into the snow to those that are not perceptive enough. Silence covers this beasts tracks as it travels through the forest with ease, the snow not hampering it's movements. Blood red eyes peers from the boar, the only color that is present. The gleeming white tusks hint that this beast carries it's own weapons to attack the heroes in the glade. As it breaks through the underbrush, it lunges at Austen's back.

Marian GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + small wpn(5) at difficulty 15, rolling 27 higher.

The vicious tusks rip into Austen's thigh. 10 inflicted and Austen is unharmed.

Jordan checked dexterity + medium wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 21 higher.

Austen is still crouching, his attention on his prayer to Petrichor when the boar charges out from the undergrowth behind him. Distracted, the knight doesn't hear it coming, and only becomes aware of its presence when its tusks connect with his armour, Austen thrown off balance with a yell. His steel armour is the only thing that saves him from harm, the tusks turned aside.

Signe checked dexterity + archery at difficulty 15, rolling 3 higher.

Marian GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + dodge(3) at difficulty 15, rolling 23 higher.

Rushing forward on horseback to try and strike the boar, Jordan lifts his sword in an attempt to swing at it. Unfortunately, the critter passes by a bit too fast and he ends up striking the empty air, wheeling his horse around in an attempt to try and make another pass, turning to the beast.

As the boar attacks Austen, Tempest is trembling more, whining louder as Signe successfully protects her companion from the boars' vicious tusks.

Jordan checked command + ride at difficulty 15, rolling 7 higher.

The boar out of nowhere definitely throws Asher off; because what in the WORLD WAS THAT?! The motion is so sudden that the jeweler doesn't exactly have time to take a diving lunge for the creature. Being startled like that only makes Asher hold his position, brace himself. He could be next, after all!

When Jordan indicated which direction the threat was coming from, Signe's gaze snapped towards that area. Instinct had her not drawing for her weapon but using her body to protect Tempest when the white blur charged passed the group. Down on one knee the shaman then reached for her bow, an arrow poised and string drawn tight. She aimed at the direction the beast disappeared in. "Shhh Tempest... you'll be alright." Signe asked the group, "Did anyone see it? The eyes?"

As his destrier starts to try and run away into another direction, Jordan keeps him well in hand, pressing his foot into the flank to have him turn.

Marian GM Roll checked mana(3) + occult(3) at difficulty 15, rolling 34 higher.

Austen scrambles to his feet, his claymore gripped in his hands. He looks down at his thigh where the boar made contact, the steel heat-scored and melted. "It is a aberration!" he tells the others, turning to look for the beast. "Be on your guard!"

Asher checked luck + occult at difficulty 15, rolling 8 lower.

Austen checked luck + occult at difficulty 15, rolling 5 lower.

Signe checked mana + occult at difficulty 15, rolling 45 higher.

Wilhelm the Iron Messenger arrives, following Sparte.

Wilhelm the Iron Messenger leaves, following Sparte.

Drip, drip, drip, the blood falls from your ears into the snow. 5 inflicted and Austen is harmed for minor damage.

Drip, drip, drip, the blood falls from your ears into the snow. 5 inflicted and Asher is harmed for minor damage.

The white blur disappears under the bushes, not staying in the glade where the party is standing. The horse that is under Jordan's command is stomping it's feet, acting unsettled as the wolf companion trembles more. The sounds are painful, like shards of glass upon your eardrums. Those who don't gartner the protection of the glade spirit feel blood coming from their ears.

Jordan checked luck + occult at difficulty 15, rolling 2 lower.

Drip, drip, drip, the blood falls from your ears into the snow. 5 inflicted and Jordan is harmed for minor damage.

"Aye, crimson things, they were." A small pause, Asher's thoughts turning about. "I've not seen a white boar like that..." Austen states it's an aberration, and Asher nods. "Best put this thing down, then!" With that, he's got his blade ready - and hopefully, the snow won't hamper his attempts to move if the boar comes at him. If he can see it. The eardrums being attacked directly, though... That's a new one.

When his ears start bleeding, Jordan holds his free hand to his helmet, trying to force it to dampen the ear-shattering noise. Unfortunately, it doesn't help much, and he feels that warm trickle of blood running down his ears and onto his neck and down to the floor. "Fucking abyss!" He curses, trying to look around to see where the boar might attack from, next.

Unaffected by the ear piercing sounds Signe watched for only a moment while the others sustained the damage. "Draw it out!" She yelled to the others. Without knowing where this beastial boar was sheltering himself at Signe knocked an arrow some distance away from the group, not expecting to hit the creature but to bring the beast out of hiding.

Signe checked dexterity + archery at difficulty 15, rolling 0 higher.

Marian GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + dodge(3) at difficulty 15, rolling 24 higher.

Austen's chin drops forwards at the sound assaulting his ears, letting out a pained cry. He shakes his head, the blood splattering the inside of his helmet. "We must find it!" he agrees. "And end it before it can harm any others!" He moves to join up with Asher, looking to protect the man's back with his own. "Form up close, don't let it get behind us."

Marian GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + stealth(3) at difficulty 15, rolling 40 higher.

Signe checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 13 higher.

Austen checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 8 higher.

Asher has rolled a critical success!
Asher checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 16 higher.

Asher checked dexterity + small wpn at difficulty 15, rolling 46 higher.

Marian GM Roll checked dexterity(5) + dodge(3) at difficulty 15, rolling 31 higher.

Jordan checked perception + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 30 higher.

There's the bugger - Asher spots the thing charging again, and with a quick motion, he manages to actually square up in front of it. But why in front? To jump over, of course! A charging animal takes time to change course, especially with hooves. Or so the idea goes. The blade in his hand slices downwards as well, during the acrobatics, and... Well, it's Diamondplate. There isn't much that it won't pierce, one would think! But... Oh. Asher lands, and turns, and... The boar is gone, nowhere to be seen. Asher looks triumphant, up to that point. "...Oh, of course. Please tell me someone saw what happened." He even scrunches up his nose, like he just smelled and tasted something terrible - it might just be the notion that he lost his prey. "Could've made some nice armor out of him."

"What happened?" Jordan asks, as he's seen nothing, at all! He's still looking for that boar. Then the scent hits and he lets out a loud groan. "That's disgusting. Gods above."

Signe checked mana + occult at difficulty 15, rolling 46 higher.

Lowering her bow Signe tracked the movements of the others in her group while still attempting shield Tempest from any assaults. While the others make mention of a smell, Signe gaze widened and shouted out to the others. "I don't smell any--by the spirits. Don't breathe it in. We need to leave the forrest, now!"

Austen checked stamina + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 12 higher.

Jordan checked stamina + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 55 higher.

Asher checked stamina + survival at difficulty 15, rolling 5 lower.

Marian GM Roll checked mana(3) + occult(3) at difficulty 15, rolling 19 higher.

Austen turns a moment too late to see what has happened with the boar, blinking as he realises it's gone. The smell that catches him causes his eyes and face to wrinkle up, the knight frowning at the smell. And then Signe yells. He turns, looking through the forest. "Which way?" he calls to Signe.

Cough, cough, cough, the blood falls from your lips into the snow. 5 inflicted and Austen is harmed for minor damage.

Cough, cough, cough, the blood falls from your lips into the snow. Your lungs start to sieze. You feel as if you can't breath. 20 inflicted and Asher is harmed for moderate damage.

Signe points in the direction they came from that would lead towards the outskirts of the Gray Forest, "That way! I'll be fine. Just go!"

It's like Jordan isn't affected by the smell, or whatever miasma seems to be filling the air right now. "Signe, which way is the creature? I'm going to end this, one way or another." The alaricite is in his hand. "Point me to the right way and I'll get it done."

Asher hears Signe speak, but it's too late; he was the first person to smell it, being the person closest to the origin. He hacks up a heavy amount of... Well, it's disgusting. Immediately he stumbles away from where the boar was, towards where Signe pointed. He's still quite fast, but... Nothing could get him to stop coughing long enough to speak, right now, as he tries to hold in the breath so he doesn't get another dose.

Austen turns where he's pointed, following after Asher. "We should not split up, Sir Jordan, Goodwoman" he calls towards Jordan and Signe. "We must get away from this area and we can regroup!" he calls, staying close to Asher to try and protect his back should the boar come for them.

As the party leaves the glade, there is less of that oppression. Tempest is more than eager to get out of there, returning to regular behavior once they're out of there. The heavy sulfur smell lessens the further they get away from the site.

Signe latches the bow onto her back and begins searching through one of her many leather pouches attached at her hip. She removes a small tin of herbs and some bandages then rises up from the ground. "You will not find it Sir Jordan, it is gone. Linger here and you will fall to the poison it released." She gives a sharp command to her wolf companion, "Go Tempest, run."

"All right," Jordan snaps the reins of his horse and starts to dart out of the area, stopping by Signe and offering his free hand. "Hop on." He nods to the outskirts.

When they reach the edge of the glade, Asher falls to his hands and knees, to hack up a mouthful of blood and phlegm and... Oh jeez, don't think about it. "Gods above," he mutters, finally catching his breath, "I think something wants to keep us out of the forest. Did you notice that?" He coughs again, and pushes himself to standing. "Something... Well. Not right."

Austen's own coughing ceases once they're out of the glade, the knight leaning down to give Asher a hopefully helpful pat on the back. "Are you okay, Goodman?" he asks, concerned. "I must inform the Iron Guard at once," he says with a frown, though doesn't yet move. "But not until you are safe. I think we should get you seen by a Mercy."

With the offered aid from Jordan Signe climbs onto the back of his horse for the two to make a hurried escape from the corrupted boar's revenge. She'll check over her shoulder to ensure both her animal companions are following, no doubt Tempest was eager to depart. Signe tucks the bandages under her arm as the other wraps about the armored knight's waist to steady her ride.

Asher coughs a final time, and this time it's mostly phlegm. Still, ew. He spits into the snow. "Thank you. Guard needs to be informed, aye, but mayhap gather someone who can help cleanse the area. Damn pig wasn't real, some kind of... Well, touch of diamondplate and it dispersed." He finally notices that he's still holding the long-knife in hand, and sheathes it after flicking snow from it. "I'll find the Mercies on my own, but thank you. Mayhap the best cure is a stiff drink."

"It's a demon, Master," Jordan explains to Asher, with a nod of his head to the man. "Or something like it. Evil things generally react in an odd way to alaricite and diamondplate. Either way..." The knight lowers his hand on the reins to let the horse slow down into a trot, looking over his shoulder to ascertain that Signe is alright. Satisfied, he goes on his way.

Austen nods to Jordan and Asher. "If you are sure you are fine..." he says, sounding unsure. "I must be on my way at once. Goodwoman, are you okay?" he calls to Signe.

Asher looks over to Jordan. "Aye, a demon, then. Bringers and silenced Shavs, them I know. Best I start learning how to kill these things proper, then." A kind of lopsided smile, looking to the others, and gives a kind of salute - a respectful gesture, more than it is military.

Out of the forest and into the glade, Signe's quiet along the ride with the occasional glance over her shoulder to the dangers escaped. "Corrupted things, not necessarily evil Sir Jordan." She responds then nods for Austen, "I am well, no harm came to me." A small pause has her addressing the group again, "Please do not alert the Iron Guard, not yet. It needs help, not a swift death."

"I can find myself a healer, it is no issue, Sir Knight," Jordan nods to Austen, removing his helmet and rubbing at his jaw. Blood stains it, and he wipes it away with his gauntleted hand. "Next time, I will bring holy water and splash the boar with it, if we see it again," he tells the group at large. "I suggest everyone else does the same." He nods to Signe's words, but his expression does hint to a slightly, and polite, disagreement.

"I am of the Iron Guard, Goodwoman," Austen tells Signe. "And we are now responsible for the Lodge. This thing is between the two and I must warn the others. I am sorry, but I cannot delay letting them know."

Asher snorts towards Austen. "Oh, and do you think that the Lodge of Petrichor, perhaps the area around it, takes too kindly to not being tended by the Faith?" Asher looks to be doing better, but still weakened. It was a good amount of blood he coughed up. "Thinking the woman is right, aye? Mayhap inform them, but... I'd prefer to see about curing the beast before we attempt to put it down. Only makes sense, to me." But it's not a dismissive tone; he's merely giving his thought on the matter. "...Holy water though, that might work." But he does catch the name, 'Sir Jordan', and turns to him. "Might that be Sir Jordan Ober, then?"

"Warn that they must steer clear and do not hunt for it." Signe returns to Austen. She nods in agreement to Asher, "There are ways to bring an end to it's threat without involving blades and death."



Back to list