Skip to main content.

Written By Reigna

June 8, 2018, 1:10 p.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

Relationship Note on Barik

My assistant Gigi brought your last entry to my attention and she suggested I read it.

It seems to be a common theme, one comes to Arx and their eyes are opened, ready or not, to things that stun, delight or terrorize. Most, like you have, simply reject because that is what we've been trained to do. That is what comes naturally to an orderly mind raised to handle what is before us, visible, tangible, real. It defies the mind and imagination at times, trying to hold the image of something so great and terrible or awe inspiring. It hurts in a way, when that veil is pulled and it feels at first, as if the whole world were a lie. And you begin to wonder what other veils are there, what else is it you cannot see. What dangers lurk in the shadows, what beauty or wondrous thing might be around the next corner? It is so difficult to place ourselves in a world like that. From the tangible to the ephemeral, it is easy to feel like you do not belong. It is easier to deny, to shake your head and reject all of it.

On the topic of faith... it is difficult for me to conceive of a world without that backbone of faith. It is something I was raised into. Being from the Western reaches of the Oathlands, I was surrounded by the Orthodoxy from birth, and that faith came easily to me. At one point I wished to become godsworn. I see their hands in the beauty of the sea, the majesty of an ancient grove of trees, in the words on a page that create worlds within my mind, in the feeling in my chest when I swear an oath and *mean* it. Faith is not all joy, and the faithful do not lead painless lives. We are touched with tragedy and heartache, neglect and loneliness the same as any one else. But when I have been in those places, it has always been my faith that kept me from being alone. I knew that if I kept my word, no matter how difficult or costly to myself it would be... Limerance would smile on me. When I made a hard,but just choice, the Sentinel would be pleased. When I wrote my pains into my black reflections, Vellichor granted me the ease of that pain as I poured it from my heart to the page. I do not think my faith makes me haughty, nor, as I have said, is the life of a faithful untouched by pain or hardship. It is instead that through our faith, there is a belief that if we endure and keep pushing to emulate the gods through their virtues, that it *will* get better, that we will be stronger for the hard times, better able to embody the virtues to which we aspire. But as I said... Faith has been a part of me my whole life. And it is hard for me to understand where you are coming from. Though I would like to try. I have not abandoned my Orthodox upbringing, I believe I am closer to the path of the gods than I ever was. But I cannot in truth call myself a follower of the Orthodoxy as it stands. I have seen too many things and met too many people to adhere to the strictest interpretations of our Faith. Since coming to Arx, I have visited the Shrines of the Queen of Endings and Mother of Beginnings. I have felt the pull of her story, embraced her existence and role in our lives. I have come to hear the words and stories of Skald, and have taken the lesson and gift of choice to my heart and have had the deepest honor to meet Prism, one of the greatest moments of my life. I have embraced the idea of Aion, meditated on the meaning and story of how this all fits together. And I have given even more thought to the nature of the Thirteenth, what it means, the lessons that are offered in his worship.

What really struck me about your journal entry, what inspired me to reach out was your talk of balance. This is, I believe, is the crux of how to keep sane in a world determined to be anything but. There is darkness within us all. The Thirteenth encourages us to face this darkness, accept it, embrace it and with that acceptance use the darkness within us to push us to be better. Hiding from one's darkness, denying that it is there gives it power over us. If we turn away, if we do not look into that darkness, we prove we are afraid of it. And by avoiding what we fear... we give it power over us. If we search that darkness and explore each and every cranny of it, if we face it, we will no longer fear it. And it loses its power over us. We are free to choose how to act, we are not controlled by our emotions, or impulses and instincts. We become the master of ourselves. Of course these words are easy to say. Actually accomplishing this? This is the task of a lifetime.

The nightmares are real, yes. But as you said... as there is no light without the dark, so too are there wonders. Unspeakable, glorious things awaiting the opening of your eyes. There are monsters and danger and terror... but there is always, always hope. Faith is a seed within you, it must be nurtured to grow, bathed in the light of hope. I would speak with you further, if you have interest.

Written By Korka

June 8, 2018, 12:57 p.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

I'm still here.

Or here, again.

Story of my life. Not that anyone aside from one person will get that joke, but maybe it'll be funny for someone doing research in five hundred years. It is the strangest thing, to read my name in the whites.

Written By Austen

June 8, 2018, 12:37 p.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

Relationship Note on Ainsley

Swords are excellent.

Written By Kenna

June 8, 2018, 12:13 p.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

Relationship Note on Sparte

Blanks are the easiest of all things to draw. They leave everything open for more possibilities with their endless empty space.

If you want art lessons, I suggest my cousin Tabitha. She is amazing.

(Scholar note: Lady Whitehawk left giggling.)

Written By Aureth

June 8, 2018, 12:12 p.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

The choices we make, the paths we take, and the new chapters we write in our stories are the gifts we give to Death. Life is a gift.

Written By Sparte

June 8, 2018, 12:05 p.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

Carnifex.

Whenever people talk about the Orthodoxy, they remember Carnifex Alor Valardin as the founder.

What does Carnifex mean, though? It doesn't seem to be a first name, it is placed in the name like a title. A title for what?

It feels like maybe I should already know this, but for some reason I keep drawing a blank.

Written By Fredrik

June 8, 2018, 11:56 a.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

From: Desk of Lord Fredrik RedTyde
Subject: marriage potential and opinions

I will not name names in here, because honestly, I do not find the unsolicited opinion of one or two nobles worth that level of pursuit or vehemence. But to clarify my position here?

Who I determine to pursue as a political marriage, which is first and foremost a /political/ arrangement between two Houses? Is nobody's business. If those House Heads and the parties involve agree to the arrangement, formal or not? Then it is nobody's business but theirs. I applaud all those marrying for love, and I hope that I may, one day, share this honor, but that is not the foremost purpose of political marriage, in many cases. If you have an issue with it, please do go ahead and write the marquis, duke, duchess, high lord, or whoever else may be involved and inform them of your opinion, and I will be delighted to hear the response. Until then I will, without the ardent hormonal urge that seems to drive many, pursue a match that it best for myself, my House, and my Liege.

Written By Karadoc

June 8, 2018, 11:38 a.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

... Damn these emotions to the Abyss for this. I am stricken.

Written By Ainsley

June 8, 2018, 10:49 a.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

Relationship Note on Eirene

I also like swords.

Written By Lorenzo

June 8, 2018, 10:33 a.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

Relationship Note on Alessandro

Well, my dearest brother has married and become a Greenmarch. I wish him and his wife Lady Margret all the happiness in the world, even though I will miss him deeply at family dinners. He is the most fun to exchange whispered comments with when discussion at the main table gets too boring.

I hope the Greenmarches appreciate what a fine man has joined their family.

Written By Eirene

June 8, 2018, 10:22 a.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

I like swords.

Written By Mae

June 8, 2018, 9:51 a.m.(12/9/1008 AR)

Relationship Note on Edain

While I cannot echo Prince Edain's words that we are all unique - being someone marginally responsible for soul, I try not to make claims like that - I can say without a doubt each and every soul is a piece of Death, created by Her, beloved by Her. And while I just said I won't take guesses, I will make this one: Death doesn't put in all that effort to creating us, She doesn't invest a piece of Herself into this world, without reason.

Written By Edain

June 8, 2018, 8:58 a.m.(12/8/1008 AR)

To those that have suggested they are easily replaceable. You are not. Everyone is a unique creation with no other being quite like you. Ever thing that you partake in, from the life changing, to the painfully banal create the clay from with you craft yourself. It is a project that you never finish, just one that you shape anew.

Now some people are, of course, assholes, but even they are not replaceable. No one can asshole in quite the same way they do.

Written By Barik

June 8, 2018, 7:38 a.m.(12/8/1008 AR)

It is hard to stirr the heart in the right direction when directions are vague, and your stirring isn't as deft as on-looking eyes would think. I heard a lot of magical things today; a lot of things I didn't believe. All of them I didn't believe. A man in dark greens bid me to find my reflection, and study it like one would an enemy. My reflection? Just an unreachable other self of me. If I cannot reach myself, then how can a copy of me have any hope at doing so? I feel so disconnected from all of this; all of this magic, all of this talk of legends, myths, what could be.. Like I was never meant to be a part of it- like I was cut from a different cloth, born in a different land. I don't see the streaks of light, I don't enjoy the senseless humility, compassion, and love of those shamelessly serving the so-called Will of the Gods.

Every man has a dark side. It is a matter of balance- it is how the world works, are you petty? Are you a coward? Are you petty and a coward? Then come, sit by. You and I, we share a limp of the leg. But there's a harrowing feeling of faked perception behind these strong believers, an unspoken haughtiness that denotes a certain belief that their path is unblemished, and untouchable. Brother Driskell had it right- he saw the truth, in a way; he saw that there's no light, without darkness. And while light and darkness in these words alone of mine are metaphor, he didn't see them as metaphor. To a man like Brother Driskell, rhetoric and belief were one and the same. And nothing makes the past a sweeter a place to visit than the prospect of imminent death, with these horrible, nightmarish creatures coming to eat us all. At least I've seen those; at least I know they're real, but the Gods? It'll take more than a voice to stirr my heart in the right direction.

Written By Karadoc

June 8, 2018, 7:03 a.m.(12/8/1008 AR)

He is irreplaceable.

Written By Austen

June 8, 2018, 4:13 a.m.(12/8/1008 AR)

Relationship Note on Monique

I have never tried to replace myself, so I do not know.

I suspect fairly replaceable, however. One Oathlander knight is much like another.

Written By Arik

June 8, 2018, 3:32 a.m.(12/8/1008 AR)

Topic: Commentary on Reflections by a Shamanistic Believer

I first noticed the topic of reflections from Champion Bliss Whisper's writings. She is one of the few that I instruct to have their journal entries brought to me. I then noticed several others discussing their reflections. I understand the idea of reflections, opposites, desires, and virtue. I know the reality of what threatens this world within as much as one man who is neither Godsworn nor Shaman might understand such things. I have never feared my reflection and neither have I studied it. I have seen it of course in streams, in mirrors, in windows, in the reflection of Frostfang or my personal sword.

My reflection has never been my own. I have certainly never thought of it as a part of me. If anything my reflection is like my shadow, something which extends from me but is not me. It touches the world and is changed by it. In the stream, it ripples. In the diamondplate of my blade, it is in sharp contrast. In the mirror, it is passing, only a glance. A reflection like a thought is a brief and shortlived thing, no life of its own, no desire of its own. Our reflections do not have spirits of their own, not like the woods or the stream or the wind or the mountain.

If anything reflections only exist when we give them home to exist. When we will them to exist with mirror or water or silver. Mayhap the closest I can come to believe in the power of reflections is that whatever a reflection might hold is only that which we ascribe to it, but then I am woefully uneducated on the topic. Mayhap I should count myself fortunate.

Written By Seth

June 8, 2018, 3:19 a.m.(12/8/1008 AR)

I arrive in Arx and Jasper has gone missing. Most likely, returned to Highhill for whatever reason. The hounds have been restless, what with the noise of the ongoing renovation disturbing them.

Overall, however, despite the inconveniences of needing to renovate the family estate, this move has felt almost liberating for me.

Written By Duarte

June 8, 2018, 2:32 a.m.(12/8/1008 AR)

I hope to see you at the liquor tasting tomorrow.

Written By Saoirse

June 8, 2018, 1:14 a.m.(12/8/1008 AR)

Relationship Note on Caith

Ah, see, my favorite weapon is wit.

Please note that the scholars may take some time preparing your journal for others to read.

Leave blank if this journal is not a relationship

Mark if this is a private, black journal entry